In all circumstances give thanks! - 1 Thess. 5:18
November 20, 2014
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Thanksgiving is defined by Yahoo as, "An act of giving thanks; an expression of gratitude, especially to God." The Saint Joseph School community has so much to be thankful for.
Saint Joseph School is extremely grateful for the parental support. Many parents volunteer in the classrooms, at lunch and recess, and for our extra-curricular activities. Thank you!
I am thankful for the staff. The staff is committed to our school. They are willing to try new methods and teaching tools, volunteer for extra help before and after school, and many staff members lead extra-curricular activities. Thank you!
Saint Joseph School is greatly supported by Father Chip, Deacon Peter, Andrea Woronick and the parish staff. They have provided our staff and students with numerous resources to enhance the religion curriculum. Thank you!
We have the best students! They are kind, respectful, and reflective learners. Our athletes demonstrate exceptional sportsmanship, and many students volunteer at school functions and special events. Thank you! Please click HERE to read a beautiful article about our SJS students!
On a separate note, safety is our number priority. I was recently reviewing the school surveillance cameras due to a situation in the church parking lot. I noticed a few things that were a bit concerning. Please encourage others, including visitors, to drive safely and slowly on school property. In addition, please ask students to play and chat on the playground or grass fields during pick-up times. Many younger students wandered into the parking lot and driveways. Let's continue to work together to keep SJS a safe environment. Thank you!
We have a small wish list for the nurse's office. Please feel free to send in the following items:
- Sandwich bags with a "fold top"
- Zip-lock snack bags
- Small paper cups (3 - 5 oz.)
Thank you, Mr. Ross, for donating Duracell Batteries for SJS!
Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Sobutka! The Sobutka's continue to volunteer at SJS. Recently they stepped up to co-chair the Harvest Basketball Tournament. Thank you!
Congratulations to the following classes and students for winning special prizes from the Yankee Candle fundraiser:
Grade 5 for having the most participation = Pizza Party on December 10th
Grade 2 for selling the most candles = Free Dress Down Pass and Free Homework Pass.
Zoe Dahm - for selling $1,007 worth of merchandise.
Sophia Pertoso - for selling $621 worth of merchandise.
Zach Morris - for selling $552 worth of merchandise.
The Yankee Candle fundraiser was extremely successful. Total sales exceeded $12,000 and the SJS HSA will receive $5122.80 towards our HSA assessment. Thank you, Mrs. Pertoso for chairing this event!
The next Friday Update will be published on Friday, December 5th.
- Please send in Box Tops with your child's name and classroom written on the envelope.
- Please send in Cambell's Soup Labels with your child's name and classroom written on the envelope.
- Monday, November 24th - $1 Dress Down Day to purchase Shop Rite gift cards for Thanksgiving Baskets.
- Wednesday, November 26th - Early Dismissal @ 11:45
- Thurs - Sun, November 27th - 28th - Thanksgiving Break (No School)
- Monday, December 8th - Immaculate Conception (No School)
- Thursday, December 11th - Christmas Concert 7:00 PM (Church)
- Tuesday, December 23rd - Early Dismissal @ 11:45
- Wed - Sun, December 24th - January 4th - Christmas Vacation (No School)
- Monday, January 5th - School Reopens
Enjoy the weekend.
Mr. Scott Bannon
26 ACTS OF KINDNESS
Thank You” Day
Learn from your mistakes
and move forward.
|Let Someone Go In Front of You in Line Today
||Share a Compliment with Someone Today
for a Family Member at Mass
|No School Today
|Thank a First Responder
Write a thank you note
to Officer Gary
|Say "Good Morning"
To everyone you pass
|Hold the Door Open For Someone Today
||Be a Friend Who Listens Today
| Moment of Silence/ Prayer
of Sandy Hook
||Thank Mrs. Valzania
Write a thank you letter
|"Be Kind to Yourself" Day
||Thank Mr. Mike
Keep the hallways, bathrooms, and cafeteria extra clean!
|Invite a Family Member to 8:45 Mass
|Thank Your Parents/Guardian
For all they do!
|Special Prayer for a Safe Christmas Break
|Read a Book Day
Be good to your brain!
It needs exercise too.
|Be Positive Day!
No complaints today!
|Thank a Soldier
Write a thank you note to a soldier.
|Thank a Teacher
Write a letter to a teacher who has made a difference in your life
|Be a Friend
Who Shares Today
|Be Kind to the Environment
(recycle, use less paper, think before hitting print, purchase a reusable water bottle, etc.)
|Encourage Someone Today
A little support can make a huge difference
|Help a Classmate Day
||Put a Smile On Someone's Face Today: Make Them Laugh
For all that they
do for you
Orders are currently being taken for SJS Spiritwear! We have a number of great items for sale:
- Canvas Tote
- Drawstring Bag
- Sweatshirts - both crewneck and hoodies
- Dri-wick T-shirts - both long and short sleeve
- Flannel PJ Pants in navy and silver
- Baseball caps
All Volunteers at St. Joseph School must attend a Virtus training session. If you have previously attended a Virtus Training course, you do not have to attend antother. A list of the Virtus training programs can be found on the Virtus website.
Poinsettias and Wreaths on Sale Now!
Help Support the St Joseph's 8th Grade Trip to Washington D.C.
6" pot - $12.00ea or 2 for $22.00
8" pot- $20.00ea or 2 for $37.00
Colors: White/Pink/Red available
12" ring size
(20-22" outside diameter)
$12.00ea or 2 for $22.00
Delivery for SJS families will be at SJS on
Friday December 5th during pick-up 3pm-4pm
Avoid the Holiday Rush… Order before November 24th!
Save the Date
at ST. JOSEPH SCHOOL
Friday, December 19th
Concessions, Homemade Baked Goods, Raffles & Prizes!
Family fun night, bring friends & family - all are invited!
If you have run or set up a Bingo event and would like to help
Please contact Sue Reitz at: email@example.com
Join us for our annual
ST. JOSEPH SCHOOL
Sat., Dec. 6th and Sun., Dec. 7th
Volunteers and donations are needed.
Please see our Christmas Festival page for more details.
Homework Club is an excellent opportunity for your child to work on their daily assignments in a quiet environment. The Homework Club will meet Monday – Thursday from 3:15 – 4:30. Homework Club is not private tutoring, but is monitored by a certified Saint Joseph staff member. The staff member will circulate the classroom, answer questions, and help the students with organization and prioritizing skills.
In some instances, all homework assignments are not completed during Homework Club. When this occurs, homework must be completed at home.
Please complete the downloadable calendar below, and return it to Nancy Rubino. This year, drop-ins are welcome with a parent note. Homework Club costs $11 dollars per day. If you are unable to pick-up your child at 4:30, he/she will join the After Care Club. You will be billed accordingly. Aftercare Club will cost $15 dollars from 4:30 – 6:00.
If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Rubino firstname.lastname@example.org
SCRIP is accepting orders for the 2014-15 school year.
Orders placed by 10am on Friday 9/5 will be available for pickup on Friday 9/12.
SCRIP orders are due by 10am each Friday for pickup on the following Friday. Pickup of the cards is the following Friday from 3:00-3:30 outside the school office. Can't make it to the school for distribution time. No worries- we can work out a time to meet you that better fits your schedule. Or take advantage of SCRIPNOW! an online printable version of a gift certificate that will be sent to your 'Inbox', within 30 minutes from the transaction, that you can print use immediately.
If you are interested in purchasing SCRIP cards and would like to set up an account, see our Donation Opportunities page or contact anyone from the SCRIP team for information:
New to SCRIP?
Scrip is a gift card purchasing program that generates funds directly to SJS with each purchase. You pay the face value of the card or e-card (SCRIP now) and SJS receives a predetermined percentage back from SCRIP organizers for your purchase. Each purchase you make through the SCRIP link below benefits SJS. It's really that simple. SJS families have generated thousands of dollars each year for our children with this passive fundraiser!
Purchase throughout the school year and the rebates add up!
- WHO: Scrip is available to SJS families, their friends, faculty and staff
- WHAT: Purchase gift cards for retailers that you use every day. Thousands of retailers nationwide participate in the SCRIP program. Grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations, hotels, AMEX, and many popular retailers like LANDS END, GAP, STEWS, DUNKIN DONUTS and TARGET to name a few.
- WHERE: On-line at www.shopwithscrip.com
- WHY: An easy way to raise funds for our school!!
- WHEN: Orders may be placed 24/7 at www.shopwithscrip.com. ScripNow! certificates and reloads of previously purchased SCRIP cards are printed at home and ready almost instantly. You receive "hard cards" during distribution which takes place each Friday at SJS.
- HOW: A family account must be set up on the SCRIP website in order for SJS to receive the benefits. Just follow the steps at https://www.shopwithscrip.com/login/register.aspx to set up a user profile and a Presto-Pay account. (Please note a Presto-Pay account must also be set up to ensure quick & easy payment processing.) The SJS enrollment code is 65LCLD722LL12.
- EXAMPLE: Purchase $250 in Lands End gift cards. A 16% ($40) rebate will be sent back to the school.*
Questions…Please contact Tina Ross at email@example.com
Simple Ways to Earn for Our School
at NO COST TO YOU!!!
See the Donation Opportunities page for details