Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. - James 1:17
December 19, 2014
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our Saint Joseph families! Take time to celebrate family, friends, and faith. As we approach the holidays, please travel safely, and create special memories with your children. Please be certain to read the Saint Joseph Parish Christmas Eve and Christmas Day mass schedule at http://saintjosephbrookfield.com/.
Our 26 Acts of Kindness Campaign is making a positive difference in the community. The "acts" completed thus far brought smiles to many people's faces. This morning's act of kindness "invite a family member to mass" had a positive impact on our community. We saw grandparents, aunts and uncles, parents, and even a few siblings. Today was about opening up our hearts, remembering others, and praying for our wonderful community. Thank you for attending.
Marlene Nankin, SJS nurse, has been an incredible addition to our office staff. Congratulations to Marlene on becoming a grandma! Marlene will be assisting with her grandchild's care on Mondays and Fridays. Therefore, Ready Nurse has provided us with a part-time nurse on Mondays and Fridays. Linda Johnson joins SJS effective immediately.
The SJS Fund reached $5,220 this week. 12 people have made donations thus far. Our goal for the year is $12,500. Please consider making a donation to the annual fund.
The next Friday Update will be sent on Friday, January 9th.
- Sunday, January 25th is the Saint Joseph School Open House from 12:00 - 2:00. Teachers and 8th grade students will provide tours. We will need a few parent volunteers to bake and distribute refreshments. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are willing to bake for our Open House.
- December 23rd - Early Dismissal @ 11:45
- December 24th - January 4th - Christmas Vacation
- January 5th - Classes Resume
- January 19th - No School
- Tuesday, January 20th - Wednesday, January 28th Mid-Term Exams (Grades 6 - 8)
- Catholic School's Week - January 25th - January 30th
Mr. Scott Bannon
26 ACTS OF KINDNESS
Thank You” Day
Learn from your mistakes
and move forward.
|Let Someone Go In Front of You in Line Today
||Share a Compliment with Someone Today
for a Family Member at Mass
|No School Today
|Thank a First Responder
Write a thank you note
to Officer Gary
|Say "Good Morning"
To everyone you pass
|Hold the Door Open For Someone Today
||Be a Friend Who Listens Today
| Moment of Silence/ Prayer
of Sandy Hook
||Thank Mrs. Valzania
Write a thank you letter
|"Be Kind to Yourself" Day
||Thank Mr. Mike
Keep the hallways, bathrooms, and cafeteria extra clean!
|Invite a Family Member to 8:45 Mass
|Thank Your Parents/Guardian
For all they do!
|Special Prayer for a Safe Christmas Break
|Read a Book Day
Be good to your brain!
It needs exercise too.
|Be Positive Day!
No complaints today!
|Thank a Soldier
Write a thank you note to a soldier.
|Thank a Teacher
Write a letter to a teacher who has made a difference in your life
|Be a Friend
Who Shares Today
|Be Kind to the Environment
(recycle, use less paper, think before hitting print, purchase a reusable water bottle, etc.)
|Encourage Someone Today
A little support can make a huge difference
|Help a Classmate Day
||Put a Smile On Someone's Face Today: Make Them Laugh
For all that they
do for you
Orders are currently being taken for SJS Spiritwear! We have a number of great items for sale:
- Canvas Tote
- Drawstring Bag
- Sweatshirts - both crewneck and hoodies
- Dri-wick T-shirts - both long and short sleeve
- Flannel PJ Pants in navy and silver
- Baseball caps
All Volunteers at St. Joseph School must attend a Virtus training session. If you have previously attended a Virtus Training course, you do not have to attend antother. A list of the Virtus training programs can be found on the Virtus website.
SJS TALENT SHOW
Thursday, January 29th ~ 1:15pm
Singing, dancing, drama, laughter, music, and FUN!
We want YOU to join us in creating the
SJS* Talent Show in celebration of Catholic Schools' Week!
Each act must be less than 3 minutes and only one act per student.
Auditions will be held in the gym after school on January 21
Save the Date
at ST. JOSEPH SCHOOL
Friday, January 30th
Concessions, Homemade Baked Goods, Raffles & Prizes!
Family fun night, bring friends & family - all are invited!
If you have run or set up a Bingo event and would like to help
Please contact Sue Reitz at: email@example.com
Homework Club is an excellent opportunity for your child to work on their daily assignments in a quiet environment. The Homework Club will meet Monday – Thursday from 3:15 – 4:30. Homework Club is not private tutoring, but is monitored by a certified Saint Joseph staff member. The staff member will circulate the classroom, answer questions, and help the students with organization and prioritizing skills.
In some instances, all homework assignments are not completed during Homework Club. When this occurs, homework must be completed at home.
Please complete the downloadable calendar below, and return it to Nancy Rubino. This year, drop-ins are welcome with a parent note. Homework Club costs $11 dollars per day. If you are unable to pick-up your child at 4:30, he/she will join the After Care Club. You will be billed accordingly. Aftercare Club will cost $15 dollars from 4:30 – 6:00.
If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Rubino firstname.lastname@example.org
SCRIP is accepting orders for the 2014-15 school year.
Orders placed by 10am on Friday 9/5 will be available for pickup on Friday 9/12.
SCRIP orders are due by 10am each Friday for pickup on the following Friday. Pickup of the cards is the following Friday from 3:00-3:30 outside the school office. Can't make it to the school for distribution time. No worries- we can work out a time to meet you that better fits your schedule. Or take advantage of SCRIPNOW! an online printable version of a gift certificate that will be sent to your 'Inbox', within 30 minutes from the transaction, that you can print use immediately.
If you are interested in purchasing SCRIP cards and would like to set up an account, see our Donation Opportunities page or contact anyone from the SCRIP team for information:
New to SCRIP?
Scrip is a gift card purchasing program that generates funds directly to SJS with each purchase. You pay the face value of the card or e-card (SCRIP now) and SJS receives a predetermined percentage back from SCRIP organizers for your purchase. Each purchase you make through the SCRIP link below benefits SJS. It's really that simple. SJS families have generated thousands of dollars each year for our children with this passive fundraiser!
Purchase throughout the school year and the rebates add up!
- WHO: Scrip is available to SJS families, their friends, faculty and staff
- WHAT: Purchase gift cards for retailers that you use every day. Thousands of retailers nationwide participate in the SCRIP program. Grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations, hotels, AMEX, and many popular retailers like LANDS END, GAP, STEWS, DUNKIN DONUTS and TARGET to name a few.
- WHERE: On-line at www.shopwithscrip.com
- WHY: An easy way to raise funds for our school!!
- WHEN: Orders may be placed 24/7 at www.shopwithscrip.com. ScripNow! certificates and reloads of previously purchased SCRIP cards are printed at home and ready almost instantly. You receive "hard cards" during distribution which takes place each Friday at SJS.
- HOW: A family account must be set up on the SCRIP website in order for SJS to receive the benefits. Just follow the steps at https://www.shopwithscrip.com/login/register.aspx to set up a user profile and a Presto-Pay account. (Please note a Presto-Pay account must also be set up to ensure quick & easy payment processing.) The SJS enrollment code is 65LCLD722LL12.
- EXAMPLE: Purchase $250 in Lands End gift cards. A 16% ($40) rebate will be sent back to the school.*
Questions…Please contact Tina Ross at email@example.com
Simple Ways to Earn for Our School
at NO COST TO YOU!!!
See the Donation Opportunities page for details